Kemi's Sisterlock and Life Journey

A log of my journey as I grow in my sisterlocks.

Friday, December 09, 2005

I'm really loving my sisterlocks(tm). Right now they're starting to do something, I don't know what, but it's something. Right now my only "style" is a flat twist out simply because I don't want to do anything else and it's also too early in the process to go all out and do anything major.

I wonder what drives so many African American women to fry their hair. I just couldn't imagine doing that again. The long lines or in the case of the kitchen beautician, just not knowing where to not put the relaxer which is basically obvious to those of us who are natural; NOWHERE NEAR YOUR HEAD! I see this every day in the office. Women who barely have enough hair to put in a ponytail trying to put it up with all sorts of hair sticking out at strange angles from the drawn up little scrunchie. I call them no-nytails because there isn't anything in there! WTF? Then there are the ladies who have the attached ponytail that's all silky and you get to the top and it's kinky-straight. Um that doesn't look right. Oh well. I hope that one day they will all wake up.

Anyways, this is me again after my second washing last Sunday. This is right after I separated all my locks. As you can see, it's filling in a bit. I find that they feel more full now that I have a "little" (and I do mean little) growth on top. I thought I was looking too cute that morning. I don't really think so now so don't look at the face, just the hair. On the top you can see where it's starting to fill in. I'm really feeling this. I'm just looking forward to the time when my locks look more "lockish". Hopefully I have the texture of hair that will do it's thing quickly. Dana says my hair is perfect for locking so we'll just have to see. At this point I'm at 3 weeks. Also I forgot to give my dear husband Jeff the credit for taking these photos. He has been a wonderful support for me from my desire to lock up until now where I have what I've been looking for in terms of hair care. He's great and I love him dearly. :) So that's it until later. Hopefully I'll have some freshly styled hair to show you.

6 Comments:

  • At 1:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Looking good girl. Your post was funny...especially the part about it being obvious where NOT to put the relaxer.

     
  • At 10:55 AM, Blogger Creyole said…

    Kemi,
    You hair is growing so fast for three weeks and you are already filled in? Wow! Girl you will be locked in no time.

    Funny post, love the ponytail subject, that has always bothered me.

     
  • At 1:31 AM, Blogger Leighann said…

    When I went natural, I was shocked and appauled that so many sisters were still engaging in unhealthy and damaging hair practices.

    I now understand that self discovery and change can be a very slow and deeply personal process. We may all get there, it just won't be at the same time.

    All we can do is be a beautiful beacon of what is possible with natural hair and help Sisters make informed choices.

    Speaking of beautiful beacons, your locks are coming along quite nicely! Ain't freedom fabulous?

    Leighann

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your hair looks great. Isn't Dana wonderful i couldn't see making this journey without here.

     
  • At 2:42 PM, Blogger Chi-chi said…

    Man,

    I can relate to pursing that ever so elusive curl definition. the best I could do was to shake my head after wetting it. thank goodness we have been freed from natural hair prison.

    chi(:

     
  • At 10:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kemi,

    I found your journey so inspiring and I am so excited that you are in my area. I live in Vienna, VA. any chance we could get together and talk locks? I am undecided about locking. I think I need to see someone real and in the flesh. Let me know. YOu can email me at babaa_sak@yahoo.com.

    peace & love,
    shahidah

     

Post a Comment

<< Home