Kemi's Sisterlock and Life Journey

A log of my journey as I grow in my sisterlocks.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

It's about time..



Well I've finally started my blog. This will be a description of my journey and what I'm going through with my sistelocks. I first went natural at around age 24 after I hit the wall. It was just one bad relaxer too many and I was sick and tired of living the "lye". I decided from then on, I would wear my hair natural no matter what and I did. I transitioned with braids for about a year before wearing my hair all the way natural. I BC'd after 4 months and continued to wear braids until the one year mark. It was great when I took my braids out to find lots of thick kinky hair. But what do I do with it?

I went through the ever famous product junkie phase where you try to find the magic product to give you the ringlets you've been dreaming of. Curl definition was my mission. After about a year of kidding myself with that, I decided that my hair wasn't going to have curl definition because it wasn't curly. It's kinky. I can have little coils, but not curls. I was better off after having realized that. So what I did was twist my hair. I wore two-strand twists and twist-outs. My hair grew and grew and grew. The only problem I came up with to mess it up was daily brushing. I found a really cute style with a clip in the back of my head after I flattened the rest on top and left a cute little 'fro puff in the back. It was so sweet. I did that style and the double afro puffs too much and experienced breakage. So I had to cut my hair down 3 inches. From 9"-10" inches to 3"-6" can you say upset? Well I decided to go back to twisting and my hair grew a bit.

Then it happened. I saw a woman with locks that were just too cute. No they weren't sisterlocks, but they were beautiful and I was in love. You see, my mom has traditional locks and they're beautiful, but you know you never appreciate something until you see someone else with them on. That and my mother was pressuring me to lock. I thought it was good enough that I wear my hair natural. It was and it still is. I just needed time. I knew that I wanted locks, but what to do? How to start? So I researched for months and months and I came across sisterlocks. I was thrilled. I was a bit discouraged by my sister because she said it was too expensive. At first I was going to get micro braidlocks and call it a life, but I thought about it again and realized that for me sisterlocks was the way to go. I was getting married in September so I decided that I would lock after my wedding was over. November 11, 2005, my sisterlocks were born! I am so happy with them. It was the best decision I've made.

The first set of photos is a week after I started my sisterlocks. Thanks to Dana, I now have over 550 (yes I counted them) sisterlocks. As you can see, I have some scalp showing. This was three days into a flat twist out (currently my favorite style). Enjoy!

10 Comments:

  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Creyole said…

    Kemi,
    Congrats on your journey! Welcome to Sisterlockdom and I look forward to visiting your site....so keep us updated. You are looking beautiful with that glow of freedom!

    Peace!

     
  • At 9:46 AM, Blogger kemicutie said…

    Thank you Lachanda! I do feel free! This has been the easiest time I've ever had with my hair including my beloved twists! This is going to be an interesting ride!

     
  • At 11:31 AM, Blogger Leighann said…

    Kemie,

    Welcome to Sisterlocks and the blogging community!!!! Your story is similar to mine: braids, twists and working up the courage to lock. When I discovered Sisterlocks I knew they were for me and got them two months after I got married. The freedom is amazing!!!!

    I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

    Leighann
    www.mysisterlocks.blogspot.com

     
  • At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Man,
    wonderful, i love the comments and everything.

    be sure to add my link as well.

    keep lockin'
    andrea
    charlotte,nc

    http://spaces.msn.com/members/TLENC

     
  • At 4:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your locs are beautiful!
    I hope to be where you are some day . . .

     
  • At 4:03 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Your locs are beautiful!
    I hope to be where you are some day . . .

    http://akire2332.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome to SL's. My locks are about 6 weeks old. Enjoy! Oh, yeah, I attended GMU a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago (1984). I live in GA now. I don't have a blog but it looks interesting!

    Lee-Lee

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger brunsli said…

    Hi there,

    Welcome to SLs. I'm really looking forward to following your blog.

    Your hair looks great and you have that happy-natural smile already!

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Blogger brunsli said…

    Kemi,

    You're a newlywed too! Best wishes for a happy, happy marriage.

    Brunsli

     
  • At 8:00 AM, Blogger Salkis Re said…

    very well done your hair is!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home